Friday, January 29, 2016

Chess Swindle of a Chess Career

Keep fighting until the end!
I use my chess losses as chess lessons on this blog. I figure if I review enough to analyze it, and then write about it, hopefully the lesson will stick with me.

I don't usually publish any wins I have playing chess, however. As I said before, you don't really win chess games - your opponent loses one. But I have to share this game because it is both!

As you will see, I am losing......badly. But I did not quit. I kept looking for anything in the position that could give me hope. And I found it!!

I am proud of myself for finding it - even if my opponent had not fallen for it. The lesson here is: NEVER EVER GIVE UP!

If my opponent would have made any of three or four different moves, I could have resigned as there was no more fight in the position. But at the time, there was a slim chance at saving the game, so I hung in there.



Michigan Class Championships – 2016 – Jan 16, 2016

Section B – Round 3 – Board 23 – Time control G/155 – 5 sec delay
White: Mike Nikitin – 1613
Black: JP Pegeron – 1756

The game is even but I am about to go wrong. 12. Qh5 is correct here. After all, Black is forced to prevent the mate at h7.
  
      12. Nf3            Bxe5
      13. dxe5           f6
      14. Qc2            f5
15. Bb5            Qe7 
      16. O-O-O        a6
      17. Qa4             c4
My fast way to get to the kingside is now blocked. I made the mistake of playing “hope chess” here, and JP saw it all the way.

18.      Bxd7               Bxd7
19.     Qc2                  b5
This is a slight lead for Black due to his space advantage and more advanced pawns. I try to get my attack going on the kingside, but Black can and does get there faster on the queenside. (-.5)

20.      Rd4?               a5 
I did not calculate this move for some reason and now will lose the race to the king. (-1)

21.  Qe2                  b4
22.  g4?                   bxc
23.  gxf                   cxb+
24.  Kb1                 exf?
25.  Rxd5               Rfc8
26.  Rhd1?             Be6?
27.  Rd6                  c3
28.  Qc2                 Qf7
There it is! Black has a mate in one with 29. ….Bxa2++. I have no option but to capture the bishop and lose the exchange. (-4)

29.  Rxe6               Qxe6
30.  Rd6?!              Qc4
Lots of threats available for Black. The simple 31. Rd4, Qf1+ 32. Rd1, Qxd1+ 33. Qxd1, c2+ 34. Qxc2, Rxc2 35. Kxc2  (-3.9) and Black has an easy to win endgame.

Even 31. Rd4, Rd8 wins as White has no counterplay or hope.

But I kept looking for something else - since my best move got me nothing but a fast resignation. Then, I found it! But will it work?

       31.  Ng5?               ……..
This move leads to a mate in ten (-20) Igor3000 says - starting with 31. …..Rab8 or a mate in thirteen with 31. …..Rd8. Black is correct to think the game is won with almost any move….except –

       31.   …….              Qxh4???
Study carefully and see if you can find the end of the biggest swindle in my chess career.
(+ infinity - White cannot lose with proper play).

       32.  Rd8+!!              Rxd8
       33.  Qb3+                Resigns

White has a forced mate in 1 to 4 moves!

If 33. …Kf8 then 34. Qf7 mate.

If 33. ….Rd5, then 34. Qxd5+ and the same mate is available.

If 33. ….Qc4 then 34. Qxc4 and then 34. …… Rd5 move just slows White down an extra move.
Then 35. Qxd5, Kh1 36 Qxa8 mate.

Then there is the really pretty:
If 33. …..                    Kh8   then
34. Nf7+                     Kg8 
35. Nh6 double check     Kh8
36. Qg8+!!                      Rxg8 
37. Nf7 mate

I know this was heartbreaking loss for my opponent who outplayed me right until the end. But the lesson here is - never, EVER give up!

No comments:

Post a Comment