Friday, January 21, 2022

Next OTB Meeting Jan 24 @ 4pm to 10 - BWW Brighton - Interview with Svetozar Gligorich

 

LCCC will meet again over the board on Monday Jan 24 2022 from 4pm until 9 or 10pm at the Brighton Buffalo Wild Wings at the Green Oak Mall. See you all there!

(Hat tip to Canadian GM Spraggett)

Now an interview from one of my all-time favorite players - Svetozar Gligorich [pic] (born 1923), also known (affectionately) as Gligo.

An amazingly talented player, for decades he dominated European chess. Gligorich’s games in my opinion, rank as some of the most beautiful examples of how chess should be played, much like my other hero Tigran Petrosian.

In his prime, there was hardly a player that he did not beat! His score against some of the world champions says it all:

he won 4 games against Fischer;

5 games against Smyslov;

8 games against Petrosian;

2 games against each of Botvinnik, and Tal.

When I am asked by chess amateurs, interested in improving the level of their play, what player’s games they should study, I have never hesitated in recommending the games of Svetozar Gligorich!

Let us listen to the man himself:

I started much later than many to-be-chessplayers, learning how to play the game at the age of eleven. As I discovered shortly thereafter, chess came easy to me. In 1939, at the age of sixteen, I became a master, this from the era when there were relatively few masters, and at a relatively young age.

 

Unfortunately, coinciding with my becoming a master in 1939, World War II broke out, and for the subsequent six years I fought as a member of a partisan unit against the Nazi-led Axis powers, and I was forced to put on hold the studying chess until 1945. At that point in time, I started to play chess again, and in 1951, I became a GM.

Although I was far removed from the latest goings-on about the game, chess actually saved my life three times. Those stories are probably too lengthy to get into now, maybe we can discuss those later on. (Your humble scribe will research these stories!)

 

On Tigran Petrosian:

Yes, we played each other a total of 27 times, with 17 of the games decisive. I won eight of the encounters and Tigran came out on top nine times. Ten of the games were drawn.

 

As I said earlier, we were very similar to each other philosophically and stylistically. We both preferred to play chess according to strict logic, as it is called, correct chess. For me it was not important who the opponent was sitting across from me, it was important that I play correct and active chess. Maybe I was, relatively speaking of course, a more unpleasant opponent for Petrosian for the reason that I was both logical in my approach and active in my style. Regardless, we were close friends away from the board despite our competitive struggles during our games.

What is amazing is that in many respects, Tigran and I were so similar. We both were simple men and not saddled by ego problems. We both enjoyed music, humor, and we understood the intricacies of the game of chess. Possibly most interesting is that neither of us had pretenses that we must become champions. Regardless, nature and talent combined in Tigran and carried him to the greatest of heights.

Let me share some of my personal insights in the form of a story: In 1963 he was playing Botvinnik for the World Championship, and he confided in me that he couldn’t believe that he is playing Botvinnik for the title. Petrosian lamented that he was unable to concentrate and focus on the task at hand to compete for the title.

As a result, I think he was unable to collect himself and he lost. But then after gathering his energy and focusing on the task at hand through three stabilizing draws, Tigran struck back in game 5 and won a beautiful game with a king invasion; at this point, the impossible was already possible. It was a fantastic display of understanding, intuition, and skill all fused into one.

The standard question was put to Gligoric: How did you digest your defeats? How did you overcome failure?

To be honest I don’t think that I took it all that badly. This is the nature of sport. Defeat should be a motivation for you to improve, work harder, and do better the next time. As Capablanca said, the best teacher is defeat. You simply need the will and strength to be able to turn the experience into something positive.

These are great words for your humble scribe to re-read. My response is either to tip over the chessboard or drop kick my computer! Neither response seems to improve my play.

I think Gligoric and Capablanca have a more enlightened response to losing.

No comments:

Post a Comment